Guide to Form I-90, Application to Replace Permanent Resident Card (2024)

Home » Guide to Form I-90, Application to Replace Permanent Resident Card

A Complete Guide To

Form I-90 Overview For:

Purpose | Online Filing | When to File | Instructions | Where to File | Processing Times | Get Help | I-90 FAQs

Form I-90 Explained

What is Form I-90, Application to Replace Permanent Resident Card?

Permanent residents use Form I-90, Application to Replace Permanent Resident Card, to replace or renew a green card. By law, permanent residents age 18 and older must have a valid, unexpired green card (or equivalent identification) at all times.

If you are a permanent resident and your 10-year green card is expired or will expire within the next 6 months, you may renew the card by filing Form I-90. Most people submit Form I-90 to renew their green card, but other common reasons to replace a green card include:

  • Your card was lost, stolen or destroyed
  • Your card was issued but never received
  • Your name or other biographic information has been legally changed
  • Your card was mutilated
  • Your card has incorrect data
  • You have reached your 14th birthday and are registering as required

I-90 PDF versus Online Filing

Can I file USCIS Form I-90 online?

You may always download a copy of the Form I-90 PDF from the USCIS website. Occasionally, USCIS publishes new editions of the I-90 application. Make sure you are using an edition which USCIS will accept. Although you may use black ink to fill in your Form I-90 by hand, it’s preferable to file a typed application. This helps prevent mistakes and may improve intake speed.

USCIS offers an online filing option for the Form I-90, Application to Replace Permanent Resident Card. But there are tradeoffs when you do USCIS online filing. You can submit your application quickly. However, this doesn’t necessarily mean you get quick processing. If you are interested a quick approval, focus on submitting a well-prepared application package. It’s the difference between saving a couple of days with online filing versus saving several weeks with smooth processing. What’s more, USCIS is not your advocate. They are not looking out for your best interests. If you include information that damages your immigration future, USCIS isn’t going to correct you.

For people who want to make sure they are preparing the application correctly, CitizenPath offers an affordable service created by immigration attorneys. CitizenPath’s Green Card Renewal/Replacement Package will make the application easy and give you alerts if there’s a problem. You’ll also receive detailed filing instructions so you know exactly which supporting documents to submit with your application. CitizenPath even provides a money-back guarantee that USCIS will approve your application.

The Right Time to File an Application

When should I renew my green card?

For green card renewal, file Form I-90, Application to Replace Permanent Resident Card, 5 to 6 months prior to the expiration of your current green card. If you file it more than 6 months prior to the expiration date, USCIS will likely reject your I-90 application. If you renew within the 5-to-6-month time frame, you’ll have plenty of time to get a temporary extension.

For green card replacement, file the application as soon as possible.

Temporary Green Card is Available

Green card renewal applicants will automatically get an extension. You will receive an I-797 receipt notice after filing Form I-90. The receipt notice will now say, “This notice provides evidence of your lawful permanent resident status for 24 months from the expiration date on your Form I-551, Permanent Resident Card (also known as a Green Card). You remain authorized to work and travel. This notice, presented with your expired Permanent Resident Card, is evidence of your status and work authorization.”

If you've lost your card or it expired more than two years ago, USCIS does not issue a temporary card. However, you can request an I-551 stamp in your valid, unexpired passport. The stamp is the equivalent of a green card. You may use it for work or travel as well.

Conditional Residents Should Not Renew a Green Card

A conditional resident may use Form I-90 to replace a card, but they should not use it to renew a card. USCIS will not renew a 2-year green card. Instead, the conditional resident must file a petition to remove conditions during the 90 days before the card expires.

To remain a permanent resident and receive a 10-year green card:

  • A family-based conditional permanent resident must file a Form I-751, Petition to Remove Conditions on Residence, during the 90 days before the card expires.
  • An investor/entrepreneur-based conditional permanent resident must file Form I-829, Petition by Entrepreneur to Remove Conditions, during the 90 days before the card expires.

If your two-year conditional green card has already expired, you may be removable (deportable). Please contact an immigration attorney that can advise you on your situation.

Form I-90 Instructions

How do I fill out I-90?

CitizenPath's easy-to-use website helps you prepare the application quickly and accurately. Our online service provides step-by-step Form I-90 instructions so that you can fill out the application in just a few minutes. We even give you a money-back guarantee that USCIS will approve your application.

If you prefer to fill out the PDF-based application, you can download instructions from USCIS or follow this summary of directions.

General Guidance

  • Type or print answers in black ink only.
  • Enter “N/A” if an answer is not applicable and "NONE" if your answer is zero.
  • Foreign language documents must be accompanied by a full English certified translation.
  • Submit your application with the current USCIS filing fee. Use a personal check, money order, cashier’s check or use Form G-1450 to pay by credit card.
  • Submit photocopies for all supporting documents unless an original document is specifically required.

Part 1

  • For Your Full Name, use your current legal name. If you married in the U.S., the marriage certificate is generally a legal name change document. You can start using your married name. USCIS will use this name to issue the green card. Be sure to list any other versions of your name used in the past such as a maiden name.
  • For Mailing Address, provide any address where you can safely receive mail. USCIS will mail you notices and appointment information at this address. This is also the address where USCIS will mail your new green card. It's only necessary to list your physical address if it is different than where you receive mail. Addresses must be in the U.S. unless you are a commuter.
  • For Additional Information, provide details about your birth and parents. This helps verify your identity. You can find the Class of Admission and the Date of Admission on your green card.

Part 2

  • For Application Type, select a reason in Part 2, Section A for filing Form I-90 only if you are a permanent resident with a 10-year green card. If you are a conditional resident with a 2-year green card, select a reason from Section B. Conditional residents who obtained status through marriage should not use Form I-90 to renew a green card. Instead, use Form I-751.

Parts 3 and 4

  • For Processing Information, provide details about where you initially obtained your green card through consular processing or adjustment of status. If you are unable to provide details on your initial admission, use CitizenPath’s service to prepare the application.
  • For Biographic Information, answer how you identify in terms of race and ethnicity. Indicate other details about your height, weight, eye color and hair color.
  • For Accommodations, indicate any disability or impairments here if you feel you also need accommodations at the time of a USCIS office visit. USCIS will make accommodations for you at the time of your biometrics screening and any other appointments.

Parts 5, 6, and 7

  • For Applicant's Statement, provide the requested information and important contact information so that USCIS may contact you during the process.
  • For Interpreter and Preparer, provide information if applicable. If you prepared your Form I-90, it’s only necessary to sign as the “applicant.” If another person translated or prepared the application for you, be sure Parts 6 and 7 are filled in and signed appropriately.

This is an abbreviated list of Form I-90 instructions. We highly recommend that you download USCIS instructions or use CitizenPath’s service to prepare the application. CitizenPath provides filing instructions customized to your situation. You’ll get detailed I-90 instructions that explain which supporting documents to submit, how to organize, and where to mail.

Submit the Application

Where should I mail Form I-90?

USCIS accepts the I-90 application via e-file and mail. They do not want applicants to submit Form I-90 in-person at USCIS offices.

Although USCIS processes all applications at the Potomac Service Center, they receive applications in a separate location. At the time of writing this guide, USCIS receives all I-90 applications at their Phoenix, Arizona lockbox.

If you are sending via the U.S. Postal Service, mail the package to:

Attn: I-90
P.O. Box 21262
Phoenix, AZ 85036-1262

If you will send via a courier service like FedEx, UPS or DHL, mail the package to:

Attn: I-90 (Box 21262)
1820 E. Skyharbor, Circle S
Suite 100
Phoenix, AZ 85034-4850

Please note that USCIS does occasionally change lockbox locations that receive applications. Refer to your CitizenPath filing instructions or the USCIS website for the most up-to-date information.

I-90 Application Processing Time

How long does it take?

USCIS is reporting processing times in excess of one year. However, CitizenPath customers generally receive their green cards more quickly. For an in-depth look at what happens after filing Form I-90, visit our Form I-90 processing time line.

Reporting for processing times only includes forms that were successfully filed. If an individual does not correctly prepare a form or otherwise does not satisfy eligibility requirements, USCIS will reject or deny these requests. For the most recent year, USCIS reported the following national statistics:

USCIS Rejections in 2023


65,250 Rejections

USCIS Denials in 2023


12,891 Denials

How CitizenPath Helps You

Is there an inexpensive way to file the I-90 application?

CitizenPath's affordable, online service makes it easy to prepare Form I-90, Application to Replace Permanent Resident Card. Designed by immigration lawyers, the Green Card Renewal/Replacement Package helps you eliminate the common errors that create delays, rejections and even denials. That's because the service alerts you when your answer to a question may be a problem. You'll also get customized filing instructions based on your situation. It's a powerful, do-it-yourself tool that puts you in control. And we've got your back -- CitizenPath provides live customer support and provides a money-back guarantee that USCIS will approve your application.


Check Eligibility
No signup required.

We're going to ask you a few questions to make sure you're eligible and preparing the correct form.


Prepare Form I-90
There’s no obligation to purchase.

Our software will guide you through the I-90 application using simple step-by-step instructions.


Download, Print and File
Pay only $99 + USCIS fees.

Once you're completely satisfied, you’ll be able to print your I-90 and customized filing instructions.

Guide to Form I-90, Application to Replace Permanent Resident Card (1)


Frequently Asked Questions

Some older green cards do not have expiration dates. In many cases, they continue to be valid. However, it may be necessary to replace others with a current green card.

Most cards are marked with a version number. If you see “Form I-551” printed in one of the corners of your green card, it’s still valid. On the other hand, Form AR-3, Form AR-103 and Form I-151 are obsolete. You must replace these cards.

However, even valid editions can be problematic if they’re too old. If the card becomes damaged with age or the photo is no longer recognizable, Customs and Border Protection officer may not honor it upon reentry to the United States. Likewise, other government agencies may be uncomfortable accepting it as valid identification.

No, there is no penalty or extra fee if your green card expired. When your green card expires, you continue to be a permanent resident. However, by law (INA § 264(e)), you are required to carry a valid and unexpired green card at all times. There are other problems with an expired green card. So renew your expired card as soon as possible.

For most applicants, the current I-90 filing fee is $465. In some cases, USCIS will waive the fee. You can easily determine your total fees by going to our USCIS fees page.

Low-income applicants and those going through a financial hardship may qualify for a fee waiver.

After reaching 14 years of age, a lawful permanent resident must register and file Form I-90 within 30 days.

Applicants who have reached their 14th birthday and their existing card will expire before their 16th birthday must pay the normal filing fee.

However, there is no USCIS filing fee for applicants who have reached their 14th birthday within the previous 30 days, and their current card will expire after their 16th birthday.

If you're temporarily abroad (for less than one year), it's possible to file the application from outside the United States. Generally, it makes more sense to file from inside the United States. USCIS will schedule you for a biometrics screen a few weeks after applying. The card must also be delivered to a U.S. address. However, for timing purposes, it would be acceptable to file from abroad and return soon after.

If you’ve lost your green card while abroad, you should not file Form I-90. Instead, you’ll need to request temporary documentation to board a transportation carrier and reenter at a port of entry. File Form I-131A, Application for Travel Document (Carrier Documentation), in-person at a U.S. embassy or consulate. Learn more about this process in Lost Green Card Abroad and Returning to the U.S.

Individuals who have been abroad for more than one year cannot use the options above. Generally, permanent residents who have been outside the United States for more than one year without a valid reentry permit have abandoned their green card status. However, in certain cases, it may be possible to get a returning resident visa. Please consult with an immigration attorney to see if your situation qualifies for this path to reentry.

What Customers Say About CitizenPath

Guide to Form I-90, Application to Replace Permanent Resident Card (2024)


Top Articles
Latest Posts
Article information

Author: Margart Wisoky

Last Updated:

Views: 5901

Rating: 4.8 / 5 (78 voted)

Reviews: 93% of readers found this page helpful

Author information

Name: Margart Wisoky

Birthday: 1993-05-13

Address: 2113 Abernathy Knoll, New Tamerafurt, CT 66893-2169

Phone: +25815234346805

Job: Central Developer

Hobby: Machining, Pottery, Rafting, Cosplaying, Jogging, Taekwondo, Scouting

Introduction: My name is Margart Wisoky, I am a gorgeous, shiny, successful, beautiful, adventurous, excited, pleasant person who loves writing and wants to share my knowledge and understanding with you.